What are customer success playbooks, and why are they vital for your business?
Customer Success, or CS, is primarily about ensuring your customers reach the desired outcomes they want while using your brand. Using CS playbooks holds many benefits. It will keep you informed about your customer health levels. It will flag customers who are likely to churn so you can run proactive interventions.
It will also highlight the opportunities you have to boost your income from existing customers. In short, employing customer success playbook strategies will enable you to map a path that will lead your business to successful outcomes, deliver higher levels of customer satisfaction, boost customer retention, and increase your business’s revenue.
What is a customer success playbook?
A customer success playbook can be seen as a set of rules, guidelines and/or strategies to help you navigate the sometimes-choppy seas of customer success! CS managers can rely on customer success playbooks to help them help customers to achieve their best outcomes. This works to the benefit of both customers and the business.
Creating a customer success playbook involves defining key customer success strategies to guide your team in the best practices for dealing with customers. It highlights effective and repeatable actions, procedures, and strategies that CS managers can employ to help customers achieve their scalable aims and goals.
A customer success playbook will also help your customers to adopt your product and use it successfully. Any problems, potential problems or bottlenecks in the process will be highlighted and can then be dealt with proactively. In essence, CS playbooks will empower your team to put in place targeted, scalable, and repeatable aims at every point of your customer’s journey.
Related content: What is inbound customer service?
What are the benefits of using customer success playbooks for your business?
Bearing in mind that it’s important to make your customers’ interaction with your business as easy and positive as possible, using CS playbooks is a key component in doing so. Ideally, you want to anticipate and solve any problems customers might have before they have them! Using customer success playbooks will help you in several ways:
- You can create personalised messaging and experiences for your customers, leading to better engagement and higher levels of customer satisfaction.
- Playbooks provide a framework that your business can use to successfully onboard new customers and provide them with all the knowledge they need to get the most out of your product.
- They enable your businesses to troubleshoot customer queries and issues quickly and efficiently. This will result in happier customers, greater customer loyalty and increased customer retention. This will ultimately work positively to your company’s growth.
- It will also help your CS team to respond effectively to customer challenges and share info on how to deal with similar problems in the future.
- You’ll be able to onboard new staff members quickly and seamlessly by giving them guidelines that have been successful before and that they can trust.
- Playbooks will enable you to scale and standardise your CS process by empowering your team to carry out the correct strategies.
- They’ll help you track the completion of each customer service management task.
How do I build an effective CS playbook?
As we’ve said, CS playbooks maximise your business’s ability to keep your customers happy. They spell out the steps your CS manager should employ towards this very desirable goal. So, how do you go about building an effective playbook?
- First, you need to have clear goals for your playbook and identify which aspects of your customers’ experience you’re targeting. Ask yourself why you need the playbook. Do you want to boost customer engagement, customer retention forecasting or product adoption? Or do you principally want product expansion or improved time-to-value?
- Then you need to establish where the CS playbook will fit into your customer’s journey and where it will have the most significant impact. Remember, CS is not just about getting repeat business; it is also about ensuring that your customers get the greatest value from your product and their interaction with you.
- Next, you need to identify which segment of your customer base the playbook is targeting. For instance, if your goal is to reduce churn, there’s no point in targeting customers that already have a low churn rate – you need to focus on the high ‘churners’!
- Establish which types of communications and interactions will form part of your playbook strategy and develop those assets. These can include email templates, phone scripts, presentation decks and meeting agendas. They should all be customisable to each customer’s specific needs.
- Finally, you need to track and report on the playbook’s performance to assess whether it is contributing meaningfully to your CS aims and goals. Were the initial communications duly sent? Has customer response improved? Does the targeted customer segment show a lower level of churn? It’s best to set a timeframe – 90 days is an effective period – to do this assessment.
Related content: How Customer Segmentation can help you deliver better service
Utilising playbooks is a key component of any good CS team strategy. They highlight the actions you need to take to boost your company’s level of customer success and get a better understanding of your customer base. However, we understand that developing and implementing effective CS playbooks is a complex task. Digital Customer Care Company’s experienced team can help and guide you through this vital process. Contact us!